Toast Puller-Outers & Marlin Hooks......
Tuesday, 29 December 2015 00:10
ED. This Holiday post originally appeared on December 19, 2014.
HAPPY HOLIDAYS - Yesterday we blew our imaginary wad on imaginary gifts for the women of Team Minnesota '14. We don't have much imaginary cash left for the men of TM, so the gifts that they won't be receiving will be inexpensive ones.
1. MATTHEW PAYNE - As a Sludge Metal aficionado, we got head-banger Matt Fudge Tunnel's 1989 debut album (on vinyl) entitled "Hate Songs in E Minor," featuring our favorite FT tune, "Bed Crumbs." ($22.71 on Amazon)
2. MARCUS STROMBERG - Marcus is the Owner/Operator of Stromberg Built, LLC specializing in custom homes and remodeling. We therefore thought it would be cool to get him a paperback copy ($14.92 on Amazon) of Mike Holmes' "Make It Right: Expert Advice on Home Renovations" and an autographed glossy photo of Nicole Curtis. (Yes, the MTN Guys binge-watch HGTV shows.)
3. BROOKS GROSSINGER - We don't know Brooksie very well, but we like him a lot. We'll go traditional here, and get him a card and a fruitcake. Hopefully the fruitcake will have extra "green things." We don't know what they are, but a fruitcake isn't a fruitcake without the green things....
Hoodie Pillows & Zebra Cakes...
Monday, 28 December 2015 00:10
ED. This week we are recylcing some vintage posts. This Christmas post originally appeared on December 18, 2014.
The MTN Guys would like to buy every tri and du-athlete in Minnesota a new car. But we can't because we've spent most of our Christmas money on candy. Just know that if we could buy everyone some stuff, we totally would.
In years' past we have revealed the gifts that we'd like to get for Team Minnesota members. Here, in addition to the cars we won't be giving them, are some personal gifts from us that Team MN '14 will NOT be receiving. Ladies first:
1. HEATHER LENDWAY - Heather has done a lot of international traveling in her young life and will do a lot more in the coming years because she'll be a vagabond pro triathlete. Therefore, we want to give her an airplane neck pillow; you know, the kind that look like a padded toilet seat. Because she is a loyal Macalester alum, we'd like to get her a plaid...
Six Most Common Triathlete Injuries...
Sunday, 27 December 2015 00:10
By Dr. Michael Williams
Rotator Cuff Tendinitis (or potentially Tear) – inflammation due to microscopic muscles tears & stress
- Workouts that are either too much or too hard, an imbalance in shoulder muscles, or poor stroke form
- Signs & Symptoms
- Pain may radiate down arm
- Difficulty extending arm @ 90-degree angle
- Arm weakness with lifting
- Night pain
- Treatment – unless your case is minor (PRICE), seek professional treatment as the healing process for this injury is slow due to the poor blood supply in the area
- Prevention: avoid too much too fast & developed balanced shoulder strength...
Bummers & Bounce-Backs...
Saturday, 26 December 2015 00:10
Or, how to rebound after a major bummer.
By Jesse Thomas (triathlon.competitor.com)
Shortly after I started racing professionally in 2011, I made a three-year commitment to 70.3 worlds, which extended to four years after breaking my foot in 2013. It was the No. 1 focus of my entire career. But due to bad luck, injuries and many, many mistakes, I still hadn’t had the breakout performance I knew I was capable of.
But in August of 2015, the stars aligned. The Ironman 70.3 World Championship course in Austria was perfectly suited to my strengths—there was a wetsuit swim, a super hilly bike and a two-lap run to Pacman people down. Most...
Thursday, 24 December 2015 06:10
The MTN Guys love garish Christmas Sweaters like the ones given away on the Jimmy Fallon Show. So does our good friend Steve Sander, pictured here with one of his flamboyant sweaters and his kids, Avery and The Other One. His wife Kelly is taking the picture.(She is in the photo in the top right corner with The Other One.)
Sign up! Get updates from MTN