Weekend News Stuff...Updated...
Sunday, 21 August 2011 14:40
Young Life Triathlon - Becky Youngberg recorded her 7th victory of the 2011 season on Saturday in Detroit Lakes at the 5th annual Young Life Olympic Triathlon. 2010 winner Christina Roberts was runner-up and Christel Kippenhan, who is from Germany, which explains why she has a really cool German accent, took 3rd. Grand Forks, ND's Sean Cooley, who crushed the men's course record at Paul Bunyan (Long Course) a few weeks back, won the men's race. Aberdeen SD's Kevin Bjerke and Luke Nelson of Ramsey, rounded out the Top 3.
The companion Sprint, which celebrated it's 8th birthday yesterday, was won by Grand Rapidsian, Tara Makinen, and Fargonian Tyler Zima. RESULTS
Hedge Podiums! Bich Makes History...
Saturday, 20 August 2011 10:17
Preliminary Men's results from this morning's USAT National Age Group Championships. Note that three Minnesotans cracked the Top 15. Patrick Parish finished 22rd (2nd 25-29M).
Brian Bich's 12th place overall finish is the best placing at Nationals EVER for a man 45+. What was the previous highest placing by a 45er? Tony Schiller's 24th in 2004. Bich (photo L) is now a four-time AG National Champ (2011, 2007, 2006, 2004).
1. Karl Kahsar, 23 (CO) - 1:52:18
2. Brian Duffy, 23 (PA) - 1:54:09 (Triathlete Magazine Athlete of the Year in 2009)...
Boots & Steph Totally Rocked Socks at Nationals...
Saturday, 20 August 2011 05:00
Here are the Top 15 women at USAT Age Groups Nationals, which were contested this morning in Vermont. These results are unofficial. Note that Minnesotans Claire Bootsma (2nd 20-24W) and Stephanie Solfelt (Photo L) placed 6th and 15th overall respectively.
Minnesota was one of four states (CO, FL, MA, MN) to place two girls in the Top 15.
1. Susan Williams, 42 (CO) - 2:06:02 (A former pro, Susan earned a Bronze medal at the Athens Olympic Triathlon in 2008. She is the first master, male or female,
Perpetuating the Legacy...
Thursday, 18 August 2011 03:00
People & Events Stuff...
Tuesday, 16 August 2011 03:20
* SERIOUS CHICKING - Women seem to be cracking the Overall Top 10 in multisport races with semi-regularity these days.
Yeah. Sixty-four outdoor multis have been staged in Minnesota thus far in 2011. In 18 of those races (27%), fast girls have placed in the Top 10.
The most frequent female Top Tenner?
That would be the Michelle Andres (photo L), the lovely 34-year-old mom of five from East Gull Lake. She's done so FOUR times this season. Even more impressive is the fact that she actually cracked the overall Top 5 in each of those races. Here's how it shook-out: 5th at COLT, 2nd at Tri For a Cause, 4th at Chase the Police and at Northwoods. Additionally, her average margin of victory in these SPRINT events was 8:16....
Going Down Hard...
Tuesday, 16 August 2011 03:00
* COURSE RECORDS - Racing conditions last Sunday were ideal and overall and divisional course records fell like dandruff from the head of a teenager who's never heard of Selsun Blue. Check 'em out:
YWCA WOMEN'S TRIATHLON (See Bootsie's race report on the next page) - RESULTS
- Overall - Claire Bootsma - 1:07:25 (Previous - Lydia Novotny - 1:14:00 - 2010)
- 40-44 - Ann Snuggerud - 1:13:39 (Previous - Jamie Heying - 1:14:29 - 2010)
- 45-49 - Laura Swartz - 1:16:05 (Previous - Amy Klosterman - 1:18:20 - 2010)
- 70-74 - Judy Rykken - 2:01:56 (Previous - Judy Rykken - 2:02:07 - 2010)
GREEN LAKE OLYMPIC (.75 - 28 - 6) - RESULTS .....
Sign up! Get updates from MTN