Made to be Broken...UPDATED...
Sunday, 08 May 2011 03:00
Race Coverage - Records, like taco shells, are made to be broken.
Sam Janicki ran like a banshee (pronounced "Banchy") on Saturday at the 4th annual Cinco Du Mayo Duathlon. In fact, he ran like a banshee twice. And betwixt those banshee-esque pedestrian segments, he rode like an banshee; maybe even banshee-er than either run. The result was a 12:44 lowering of Dereck Podratz's race record and the 8th victory of his impressive young career. In Podratz' defense, though, his CR was set under conditions that can best be described as frosty with Edmund Fitzgerald-sinking winds....
Weekend Racing Stuff...UPDATED...
Saturday, 07 May 2011 06:33
* 9th annual CHAIN OF LAKES TRIATHLON - East Gull Lake's Michelle Andres (photo) crushed the women's course record this morning, lopping 2:50 off Jen Lenarz's 2009 mark. Lenarz placed 3rd today. Finishing between Andres, who now has eight career multipsort wins, and three-time COLT champ (Lenarz), was the outrageously cool Angie Hop, 40, who's 1:05:15 trashed the women's masters CR and was like a gazillion minutes faster than her 2010 time. Ang's attitude-infused race report will post on Monday morning....
Amazing Tradition & Energy...
Thursday, 05 May 2011 03:00
(Photo - Darin with pacified daughter, Kaia--isn't she cute!--after the race.)
Wishing Boston Many More Birthdays!
By Darin Wieneke
The Boston Marathon celebrated its 115th birthday on April 18 in spectacular fashion. The spirit and energy of the day was towering from Hopkinton to Boylston Street. Mother Nature even blessed the historic day with pristine weather. With the ideal conditions, the race participants honored the race with record-breaking performances, including a new men
Lots of Cool Stuff in No Particular Order...MORE UPDATES..
Wednesday, 04 May 2011 03:00
* MTN asked Jenny Wilcox (Photo above R - with husband Woodrow) to comment on her un-Jenny-like performance--32nd woman / 9th 35-39--at Duathlon Nationals in Tucson, Arizona, last weekend. Now somewhat tan, Wilcox sent us these words:...
Rain, Wind & Sportsmanship...
Tuesday, 03 May 2011 03:00
(Photo - Courtesy of the terminally smiley and sharp-dressing Steve Stenzel, who is in the shot so we don't think he actually took the picture himself. He is the happy-looking guy with tall compression socks and rainbow-colored bike pants. The front line of runners are, from left to right, Chad Millner, a guy with short black hair, Jesse Nelson, Happy Dan Arlandson, Rossy Weinzierl, Super Mario Minelli and Zack Beatty.)
Falls Duathlon Recap
by Mario Minelli
The 3rd edition of the Falls Duathlon was today, April 30, 2011, in usually beautiful Cannon Falls, MN. Two words can describe the racing conditions: wet & windy. One word for those who...
Weekend Newsy & Notesy Stuff...
Sunday, 01 May 2011 21:19
* Jenny Wilcox is a great athlete and a supremely nice person. We like her a lot, so when she asked us if we would post some information on the running event that she co-founded and directs, we were happy to oblige. Here's what she sent us:
"This year's Nick Clare Memorial Run will be held on Saturday May 7th at 8:30am at the Hastings Area YMCA in Hastings, MN. We have 3 races this year: 2k, 5k, 10mile races. It will be professionally timed by Anderson Race Management. All 10 mile finishers will receive a finishers medal. All of the proceeds from the run go to the YMCA for the Y Partners Program and to the Nick Clare Memorial Scholarship Fund that helps students in need of financial assistance who may not be able to have the opportunity attend college otherwise, in addition to other local non-profits needing financial assistance. It is a non-profit event supporting non-profit organizations and supporting kids for a brighter future." RACE WEBSITE
* Saturday, April 30 - For the second consecutive year, Kevin O'Connor placed 6th overall at the USAT Duathlon National Championships. Other impressive efforts by Minnesotans included Ben Ewers' 2nd in the 65-69M category and John Heinlein's 4th in the 20-24M AG.
* What happened to Du Nationals podium hopeful Jenny Wilcox, who finished 32nd (9th 35-39W)? We don't know. We emailed Jenny asking her to comment on her experience. To be continued...RESULTS
* Overshadowing Chad Millner's dumping of his own men's course record at the 3rd annual Falls Duathlon in Cannon Falls last Saturday, was Ruth Brennan Morrey's surprise win in the women's contest. Finishing 6th a full nine minutes off Julie Hull's victorious pace in 2010, the Rochesterian who doesn't hyphenate her last name, relied on two torrid run splits to keep Hull, who placed 2nd, 15 seconds in arrears. Super Mario's groovy coverage and other commentary will be posted on Monday.... RESULTS.....
Sign up! Get updates from MTN